Manufacturer: SCS Direct Inc
Product: Magnet Balls Manipulative Magnet Sets
Hazard: When two or more magnets are swallowed, they can link together inside a child's intestines and clamp onto body tissues, causing intestinal obstructions, perforations, sepsis and death. Internal injury from magnets can pose serious lifelong health effects.
Injuries: No incidents or injuries have been reported to SCS Direct. CPSC has received 80 reports of incidents involving ingestion of other high powered magnets, resulting in 79 reports seeking medical intervention.
Description: This recall involves all Magnet Balls® The Original and Rainbow Bright interactive magnet sets sold in a cylindrical silver tin. Each puzzle set contains 216 spherical high-powered magnets that are 5mm in diameter. The magnets were sold in silver and multi-color sets.
Sold At: Amazon.com from August 2010 through May 2012 for about $20.
Units: About 106,000
Consumer Contact: SCS Direct; toll-free at (888) 749-1387, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday. Consumers can also email the firm at firstname.lastname@example.org.